Thursday, January 28, 2010

Celiac Disease....the Rich Man's Disease?

I had it said to me that Celiac is the Rich Man's Disease because it's so expensive. Have you ever heard of something so ludicrous? I mean come on. Yes the food is slightly more expensive but really in the long run it's not.

  • I sat down and figured out how much it costs to make a loaf of bread, even when using brown rice flour that's $11.99/3 pound bag, and it works out to about three dollars a loaf. Not that much more than going to the grocery store and picking up a quality loaf of whole wheat bread.
  • Prepackaged Ian's Turkey Corndogs are $5.49 a box. Horribly obnoxiously priced however they don't have nitrates and the kids love them. Plus you get what you pay for right?
  • Gluten free all purpose mix. Here it's $4.99 a box. Not that different than bisquick. Maybe a little more expensive but not much
These are just a few examples and while some stuff is more expensive I look at gluten free food the same way I look at medications, if the benefits outweigh the cons then we are good. I don't but prepackaged gluten free stuff very often but they are nice to have on hand for those nights when I stay at work an extra hour and the kids are starving by the time I get home. I would much rather keep quick, easy stuff on hand in order to maintain our strict gluten free diet then end up going out to eat and risking cross contamination issues because I wasn't in the mood to cook. And staying on a strict gluten free diet saves me money because I don't have to go to the doctor all the time because I don't feel good, I'm slowly getting more and more energy back to play with my kids and to enjoy life. And that you can't put a price limit on!

No comments:

Post a Comment