Sunday, January 24, 2010

Awakening.....

I'm simply flabbergasted at the foods that have wheat in them.
  • Bouillon. Really? Why? What purpose does putting wheat in bullion cubes serve? I even tried to google and find the why and came up with nothing.
  • Beef/chicken base. Again I don't know why.
So with this tidbit in mind I set out today to make my own veggie and Chicken broth. And came across some interesting facts.
  • It's so easy. Even if I wasn't a cook it's easy to throw a bunch of veggies in some water and cook it for an hour.
  • It's extremely inexpensive. I could go purchase pre-made broth, after finding the only gluten free broth I can find in my small town, at $3.69 a box that barely made one pot of potato soup. Or, I can make my own stock pot full of veggie broth for about $5.00.
  • I know exactly what's in my broth and don't have to call or email the manufacturer to find out what "natural flavoring" could be.
Let's move on to regular eating. It's been four days and I miss the convenience of running to the store to get a loaf of bread, bread crumbs, something for the kids to eat for lunch or heck even something for me to eat for lunch. I'm very optimistic by nature and while I get annoyed that every. single. detail about eating how has to be planned at least a few hours if not an entire day in advance I'm also thankful. Nutrition is very important to me. Even before my diagnosis. Now If I have a stressful day and just want to run through a drive-thru and grab some dinner I know I can't. Now we are almost forced to eat carefully and healthy. That's what cool about this. Even though I know there will be nights I'll end up in tears because I would love nothing more than to order pizza, throw a blanket down in the living room and have a picnic without having to cook OR do dishes in the long run we will be healthier! That's the prize I have my eye on!

No comments:

Post a Comment